Job Title: Electrochemical Engineer
Education: Chemical Engineering, Materials Science & Engineering, Electrochemical Engineering or Engineering Physics.
Experience: +3 years of combined hands-on post-graduate and/or industrial experience in flow batteries, fuel cells or electrolyzers.
Agora Energy Technologies Ltd. (AGORA) is a Vancouver-based innovation engineering company that provides electrochemical solutions in the field f CO2 conversion and utilization. AGORA’s focus is on developing the next generation of energy storage technologies with the CO2 Redox Flow Battery. AGORA has been recognized on the global stage through numerous prestigious awards including the Grand Winner at Hello Tomorrow France (out of over 5200 international deep tech innovative start-ups), one of the finalists for the Cartier Women’s Initiative Award 2021, Impact Canada-Charging the Future competition and the Keeling Curve Prize 2021, to name a few. AGORA is a dynamic work environment committed to attracting highly talented and passionate professionals keen on shaping future industries. Our projects involve novel CO2 utilization technologies and new battery chemistries in the electrochemical field. The ideal candidate, therefore, is a motivated, hands-on and innovative individual who can work effectively in a small team within an agile start-up environment.
The successful candidate will be involved in the R&D efforts of the company aiming at the battery chemistry, component development, stack design, stack development, and scale-up of our redox flow battery technology. Your role is to take an idea from concept into production.
- Must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident or have a valid work permit.
- Ph.D. or M.Sc. degree in Chemical Engineering, Materials Sciences & Engineering, Electrochemical Engineering or Engineering Physics with a minimum of three years of hands-on experience in flow batteries, fuel cells or electrolyzers.
- Extensive knowledge of fundamental and applied electrochemistry including AC and DC electrochemical analytical techniques and related aspects of battery technology.
- Experience in materials characterization methods including XRD, SEM, XPS, etc. is an asset.
- Demonstrated ability and an excellent record of success in addressing fundamental science questions and devising solutions to challenging technical problems with a proven record of high-impact peer-reviewed publications and IP that move the field.
- Experience in the CO2 conversion and utilization field.
- Proven hands-on experience in product design & prototyping in the battery, fuel cell or electrolyzer fields (experience with redox flow batteries is an asset).
- Experience with catalyst synthesis, electrode manufacturing techniques including spray coating, electro-deposition and Dr. Blade coating methods.
- Experience with battery test stations and cell stack testing.
- Aptitude to convey technical concepts and facilitate scientific discussions through excellent verbal, written and visual communication skills.
- Programming experience (experience with Python and LabVIEW are highly desired).
- Engage hands-on in flow battery cell and stack development: develop novel active materials, establish electrode formulation, perform electrolyte and membrane development, design battery system and engage in testing.
- Provide project leadership on a range of technical projects.
- Apply engineering tools and models to develop concepts and mature stack and component designs, including linking your models, tools and knowledge to the existing portfolio of design tools and models.
- Create IP and contribute to the creation of a portfolio of ideas and proof of concept demonstration within the company’s technology space.
- Understand the business drivers for the projects you are leading and apply knowledge of engineering to a variety of business-relevant problems.
- Solve relevant technical problems by initiating your own ideas and driving research projects from inception through completion.
- Participate in the discovery of new business opportunities by providing technical vetting of ideas relevant to the energy storage industry.
- Demonstrate strong project management skills and experience leading cross-disciplinary research teams.
- Demonstrate the ability to build collaborative relationships with internal stakeholders, external customers and academia.
- Work with senior technical staff to design experiments to support root-cause and corrective action investigations.
- Meet AGORA’s quality standards while maintaining a working knowledge of relevant technologies and best practices, and upholding federal and provincial regulations.
- The candidate must be a self-starter, self-motivated and well-organized person.
Applications are accepted online through AGORA’s Careers page.
Applications must include a COVER LETTER indicating “Electrochemical Engineer” and a CV combined into a single PDF file specifically titled “Electrochemical Engineer_Your-Name”. AGORA appreciates all interest in this position, however, only exceptional shortlisted candidates will be contacted. The position will remain open until filled however, the initial date to review the application is set for November 15th, 2022. Candidates will be required to provide references if selected for an interview.