Job Title: Electrochemist (Junior or Senior)
Education: Chemical Engineering, Materials Science & Engineering, or Electrochemical Engineering
Experience: 3+ years of combined hands-on post-graduate and/or industrial experience in fuel cells, electrolyzers or flow batteries
Areas of Expertise: Flow batteries, electrolyzers or fuel cells
Agora Energy Technologies Ltd. (AGORA) is a Vancouver-based electrochemical engineering company that provides solutions for the next generation of cutting-edge energy storage technologies. AGORA is a dynamic work environment committed to attracting highly talented and passionate professionals keen on shaping future industries. Our projects involve novel technologies and new chemistries in the electrochemical field. The ideal candidate, therefore, is a highly technical and innovative person who can work effectively within an agile environment.
The successful candidate will participate as an individual contributor and as a member of our R&D team and will be involved in the R&D of the battery chemistry, stack design, stack development, and scale-up of our redox flow battery technology. Your role is to take an idea from concept into production.
- Must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident or have a valid work permit.
- Ph.D. or M.Sc. degree in Chemical Engineering, Materials Sciences & Engineering, or Electrochemical Engineering with a minimum of three years of hands-on experience in flow batteries, fuel cells or electrolyzers.
- Extensive knowledge of fundamental and applied electrochemistry including AC and DC electrochemical analytical techniques and related aspects of battery technology.
- Experience in any materials characterization methods is an asset.
- Demonstrated ability and an excellent record of success in addressing fundamental science questions and devising solutions to challenging technical problems with a proven record of high-impact peer-reviewed publications and IP that move the field.
- Proven hands-on experience in product design & prototyping in the battery, fuel cell or electrolyzer fields (experience with redox flow batteries is an asset).
- Familiarity with catalyst synthesis, electrode manufacturing techniques including spraying, electrodeposition and Dr. Blade coating method.
- Familiarity with battery test stations and stack testing.
- Aptitude to convey technical concepts and facilitate scientific discussions through excellent verbal, written and visual communication skills.
- Programming experience (experience with Python and LabVIEW are highly desired).
- Experience in the CO2 utilization field is an asset.
- Engage hands-on in flow battery cell and stack development: develop novel active materials, establish electrode formulation, perform electrolyte and membrane development, architect battery construction and engage in testing.
- Provide project leadership on a range of technical projects.
- Apply engineering tools and models to develop concepts and mature stack and component designs, including linking your models, tools and knowledge to the existing portfolio of design tools and models.
- Create IP and contribute to the creation of a portfolio of ideas and proof of concept demonstration within the company’s technology space.
- Understand the business drivers for the projects you are leading and apply knowledge of engineering to a variety of business-relevant problems.
- Solve relevant technical problems by initiating own ideas and driving research projects from inception through completion.
- Participate in the discovery of new business opportunities by providing technical vetting of ideas relevant to the energy storage industry.
- Demonstrate strong project management skills and experience leading cross-disciplinary research teams.
- Demonstrate the ability to build collaborative relationships with internal stakeholders, external customers and academia.
- Work with senior technical staff to design experiments to support root cause and corrective action investigations.
- Meet AGORA’s quality standards while maintaining a working knowledge of relevant technologies and best practices, and upholding federal and provincial regulations.
- The candidate must be a self-starter, self-motivated and well-organized person.
Applications are accepted online through AGORA’s Careers page.
Applications must include a cover letter and CV combined into a single PDF file. AGORA appreciates all interest in this position, however, only exceptional shortlisted candidates will be contacted. The position will remain open until filled. The candidates will be required to provide references if selected for an interview.