Job Title: Lab Technician-Analytical
Education: An associate degree in chemistry or chemical/environmental engineering field or a high school diploma (or equivalent).
Experience: 1-3 years of hands-on experience in R&D lab settings.
AGORA Energy Technologies Ltd., an innovative engineering firm based in Vancouver, is leading the way in the development of electrochemical solutions for CO2 conversion and utilization. With a focus on cutting-edge energy storage technologies, AGORA’s CO2 Redox Flow Battery has earned global recognition through prestigious grants and awards such as the Grand Winner at Hello Tomorrow France, the Cartier Women’s Initiative Award 2021, the Keeling Curve Prize 2021 and NRcan’s Charging the Future Challenge Finalist 2021. As we continue to pave the way for future industries, we are seeking motivated and passionate professionals to join our dynamic team. Our projects involve pioneering CO2 utilization technologies and innovative battery chemistries, making AGORA an ideal environment for hands-on individuals who thrive in agile start-up settings.
The successful candidate will participate in our R&D activities and will be responsible for the timely and accurate analysis of chemical samples collected from the laboratory experiments provided by the R&D team.
- Must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident or have a valid work permit.
- Resides in Canada.
- An associate degree in chemistry or chemical/environmental engineering field or high school diploma (or equivalent).
- Minimum 1 year of working experience in a laboratory or industrial setting, using and maintaining chemical analysis equipment.
- Working knowledge of Ion Chromatography (IC) technique including basic maintenance, testing and basic troubleshooting.
- Knowledge of other chemical analysis techniques, especially Gas Chromatography (GC), Inductively Coupled Plasma Mass Spectrometry (ICP) and High-Performance Liquid Chromatography (HPLC) is an asset.
- Experience in using titration units.
- Strong communication skills with great attention to detail.
- Punctual with strong organization and problem-solving skills.
- Proven ability to work quickly and reliably in a fast-paced environment.
- Meet AGORA’s quality standards while maintaining a working knowledge of relevant technologies and best practices, and upholding federal and provincial regulations.
- Familiarity with catalyst synthesis, electrode manufacturing and testing is an asset.
- Knowledge of gas diffusion electrode fabrication techniques (e.g. doctor blade and spray coating) is an asset.
- Support the overall activities of the research and development team.
- Accurately analyze chemical samples on appropriate instruments (GC, IC, titrator, etc.) and report results in a timely fashion.
- Operate, calibrate, maintain and troubleshoot lab equipment (general wet lab and analytical equipment), engage with senior staff or manufacturer representatives for advanced troubleshooting, and clean glassware and equipment.
- Perform catalyst material synthesis and development.
- Perform electrode manufacturing using hot press, spray coating and Dr. Blade methods.
- Operate battery test stations, potentiostats, pH meters, pipettes, etc.
- Maintain chemical and equipment inventories, MSDS sheets and handle waste chemical disposal.
- Safely handle chemicals, materials, gases and other equipment needed for performing the tests.
- Interact effectively with internal staff and third-party suppliers/shops/contractors/service providers for a variety of tasks including but not limited to procurement, machining, calibration, waste disposal, etc.
Applications are accepted online through AGORA’s Careers page.
Applications must include a COVER LETTER indicating “Lab Technician-Analytical Application” and a CV combined into a single PDF file specifically titled “Lab Technician_Analytical_Your-Name”. AGORA appreciates all interest in this position, however, only exceptional shortlisted candidates will be contacted. The position will remain open until filled. However, the initial date to review the application is set for June 15th, 2022. Candidates will be required to provide references if selected for an interview.