Job Title: Lab Technician
Education: B.Sc. in Chemical Engineering, Materials Engineering or Electrochemical Engineering.
Experience: Hands-on academic or industrial experiences in R&D lab settings.
Agora Energy Technologies Ltd. (AGORA) is a Vancouver-based electrochemical engineering company that provides solutions for the next generation of cutting-edge energy storage technologies. AGORA has been recognized on the global stage through numerous prestigious awards including the Grand Winner at Hello Tomorrow France (out of over 5200 international deep tech innovative start-ups), one of the finalists for the Impact Canada-Charging the Future competition and the Keeling Curve Prize 2021, to name a few. AGORA is a dynamic work environment committed to attracting highly talented and passionate professionals keen on shaping future industries. Our projects involve novel technologies and new battery chemistries in the electrochemical field. The ideal candidate, therefore, is a motivated, hands-on and innovative individual who can work effectively in a small team within an agile start-up environment.
The successful candidate will participate in our R&D activities and will be performing testing, spraying, cell and stack assembly, manufacturing, maintaining equipment and supporting the research and development team for their work on our redox flow battery technology.
- Must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident or have a valid work permit.
- Resides in Canada.
- B.Sc. in Chemical Engineering, Materials Engineering or related disciplines.
- Hands-on experience in applied research programs and the operation of electrochemical and analytical equipment for battery/fuel cells.
- Strong lab skills with experience in testing flow cells, batteries or fuel cells.
- Familiarity with catalyst synthesis, electrode manufacturing and testing is an asset.
- Knowledge of gas diffusion electrode fabrication techniques (e.g. doctor blade and spray coating) is an asset.
- Prototyping skills are an asset.
- Experience in programming and specific software such as Matlab, Python and SolidWorks is an asset.
- Strong communication skills with great attention to detail.
- Demonstrated ability to work to milestones and manage deadlines.
- Punctual with strong organization and problem-solving skills.
- Proven ability to work quickly and reliably in a fast-paced environment.
- The candidate must be a well-organized person.
- Meet AGORA’s quality standards while maintaining a working knowledge of relevant technologies and best practices, and upholding federal and provincial regulations.
- Support the overall activity of the research and development team.
- Perform electrochemical analysis tests for battery performance evaluation.
- Operate battery test stations, potentiostats, pH meters, pipettes, etc.
- Perform electrode manufacturing using hot press, spray coating and Dr. Blade methods.
- Perform catalyst material synthesis.
- Assemble cells and short stacks for testing.
- Prepare solutions and electrolytes for battery testing.
- Prepare and run sketches in 3D printers and CNC machines.
- Perform calibration, maintenance and troubleshooting of lab equipment, engage with senior staff or manufacturer representatives for advanced troubleshooting, clean glassware and equipment.
- Safely handle chemicals, materials, gases and other equipment needed for performing the tests.
- Interact effectively with internal staff and third-party suppliers/shops/contractors/service providers for a variety of tasks including but not limited to procurement, machining, calibration, waste disposal, etc.
Applications are accepted online through AGORA’s Careers page.
Applications must include a COVER LETTER indicating “Lab Technician Application” and a CV combined into a single PDF file specifically titled “Lab Technician_Your-Name”. AGORA appreciates all interest in this position, however, only exceptional shortlisted candidates will be contacted. The position will remain open until filled. However, the initial date to review the application is set for June 15th, 2022. Candidates will be required to provide references if selected for an interview.