Job Title: Senior Electrochemical Engineer
Education: Chemical Engineering, Materials Science & Engineering, or Engineering Physics
Experience: 5+ years of combined hands-on post-graduate and industrial experience
Areas of Expertise: Batteries, fuel cells, or energy storage.
Agora Energy Technologies Ltd. (AGORA) is a Vancouver-based electrochemical engineering company that provides solutions for the next generation of energy storage technologies. AGORA is a dynamic work environment committed to attracting highly talented and passionate professionals keen on shaping future industries. Our projects involve novel technologies and new chemistries in the electrochemical field. The ideal candidate, therefore, is a highly technical and innovative person who can work effectively in a small team within an agile start-up environment.
The Senior Electrochemical Engineer will participate as an individual contributor and as a team member of our R&D team and will be responsible for stack design, development and scale-up of our redox flow battery technology. Your role is to take an idea from concept into production.
- Ph.D. Degree in Chemical Engineering, Materials Sciences & Engineering, or Engineering Physics with relevant experience in batteries, fuel cells or energy storage. (A MASc degree with extensive hands-on experience will be considered.)
- Expert knowledge of fundamental and applied electrochemistry including AC and DC electrochemical analytical techniques and related aspects of battery technology.
- Demonstrated ability and an excellent record of success in addressing fundamental science questions and devising solutions to challenging technical problems with a proven record of high-impact peer-reviewed publications and IP that move the field.
- Proven hands-on experience of product design & prototyping in the battery field (experience with redox flow battery is an asset).
- Familiarity with various mass production-ready materials deposition approaches, or with electrochemical deposition and Battery Test systems.
- Successful record of novel research into battery technology.
- Aptitude to convey technical concepts and facilitate scientific discussions through excellent verbal, written and visual communication skills.
- Programming experience (experience with Python and LabVIEW highly desired).
- Experience in the CO2 utilization field is an asset.
- Engage hands-on in cell, battery, and energy storage system development: develop novel active materials, establish electrode formulation, lead electrolyte development, architect battery construction and engage in testing.
- Provide project leadership on a range of technical projects.
- Apply engineering tools and models to develop concepts and mature stack and component designs, including linking your models, tools, and knowledge to the existing portfolio of design tools and models.
- Create IP and contribute to the creation of a portfolio of ideas and proof of concept demonstration within the company’s technology space.
- Understand the business drivers for the projects you are leading and apply knowledge of engineering to a variety of business-relevant problems.
- Solve relevant technical problems by initiating own ideas and driving research projects from inception through completion.
- Participate in the discovery of new business opportunities by providing technical vetting of ideas relevant to the energy storage industry.
- Demonstrate strong project management skills and experience leading cross-disciplinary research teams.
- Demonstrate the ability to build collaborative relationships with internal stakeholders, external customers, and academia.
- Meet AGORA’s quality standards while maintaining a working knowledge of relevant technologies and best practices, and upholding federal and provincial regulations.
- The candidate must be a self-starting, self-motivated and well-organized person.
Applications are accepted online through AGORA’s Careers page.
Applications must include a cover letter indicating “Senior Electrochemical Engineer Application” and CV combined into a single PDF file specifically titled “Senior Electrochemical Engineer_Your-Name”. AGORA appreciates all interest in this position, however, only exceptional shortlisted candidates will be contacted. The position will remain open until filled. Candidates will be required to provide references if selected for an interview.