Job Title: Analytical Chemist
Education: B.Sc. or M.Sc. in Chemistry or Chemical Engineering.
Experience: Hands-on academic or industrial experiences in analytical chemistry.
Agora Energy Technologies Ltd. (AGORA) is a Vancouver-based electrochemical engineering company that provides solutions for the next generation of cutting-edge energy storage technologies. AGORA has been recognized on the global stage through numerous prestigious awards including the Grand Winner at Hello Tomorrow France (out of over 5200 international deep tech innovative start-ups), one of the finalists for the Impact Canada-Charging the Future competition and the Keeling Curve Prize 2021, to name a few. AGORA is a dynamic work environment committed to attracting highly talented and passionate professionals keen on shaping future industries. Our projects involve novel technologies and new battery chemistries in the electrochemical field. The ideal candidate, therefore, is a motivated, hands-on and innovative individual who can work effectively in a small team within an agile start-up environment.
The successful candidate will participate in our R&D activities and will be responsible for the timely and accurate analysis of chemical samples collected from the laboratory experiments provided by the R&D team.
- Must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident or have a valid work permit.
- B.Sc. or M.Sc. in Chemistry or Chemical Engineering.
- Minimum 3 years of working experience in a laboratory or industrial setting, using and maintaining chemical analysis equipment.
- Extensive knowledge of Ion Chromatography (IC) technique including column selection, method development, calibration, and basic troubleshooting.
- Knowledge of other chemical analysis techniques, especially Gas Chromatography (GC), Inductively Coupled Plasma Mass Spectrometry (ICP) and High-Performance Liquid Chromatography (HPLC).
- Proficient in using titration units including analysis and method development.
- Practical experience in applied research programs and the operation of electrochemical and analytical equipment for battery/fuel cells is an asset.
- Strong communication skills with great attention to detail.
- Thrives in an environment of collaboration and creativity.
- Demonstrated ability to work to milestones and manage deadlines.
- Punctual with strong organization and problem-solving skills.
- Proven ability to work quickly and reliably in a fast-paced environment.
- The candidate must be a self-starter, self-motivated and well-organized person.
- Meet AGORA’s quality standards while maintaining a working knowledge of relevant technologies and best practices, and upholding federal and provincial regulations.
- Support the overall activities of the research and development team.
- Accurately analyze chemical samples on appropriate instruments (GC, IC, titrator, etc.) and report results in a timely fashion.
- Develop and modify chemical analysis methods.
- Operate, calibrate, maintain and troubleshoot lab equipment (general wet lab and analytical equipment), engage with senior staff or manufacturer representatives for advanced troubleshooting, clean glassware and equipment.
- Perform catalyst material synthesis and development.
- Operate battery test stations, potentiostats, pH meters, pipettes, etc.
- Maintain chemical and equipment inventories, MSDS sheets and handle waste chemical disposal.
- Safely handle chemicals, materials, gases and other equipment needed for performing the tests.
- Interact effectively with internal staff and third-party suppliers/shops/contractors/service providers for a variety of tasks including but not limited to procurement, calibration, waste disposal, etc.
Applications are accepted online through AGORA’s Careers page.
Applications must include a COVER LETTER indicating “Analytical Chemist Application” and a CV combined into a single PDF file specifically titled “ Analytical Chemist_Your-Name”. AGORA appreciates all interest in this position, however, only exceptional shortlisted candidates will be contacted. The position will remain open until filled. However, the initial date to review the application is set for June 30th, 2022. Candidates will be required to provide references if selected for an interview.