Job Title: Process Design Engineer
Education: Chemical Engineering
Experience: 5+ years of combined hands-on post-graduate and industrial experience
Agora Energy Technologies Ltd. (AGORA) is a Vancouver-based electrochemical engineering company that provides solutions for the next generation of cutting-edge energy storage technologies. AGORA has been recognized on the global stage through numerous prestigious awards including the Grand Winner at Hello Tomorrow France (out of over 5200 international deep tech innovative start-ups), one of the finalists for the Impact Canada-Charging the Future competition and the Keeling Curve Prize 2021, to name a few. AGORA is a dynamic work environment committed to attracting highly talented and passionate professionals keen on shaping future industries. Our projects involve novel technologies and new battery chemistries in the electrochemical field. The ideal candidate, therefore, is a highly technical and innovative person who can work effectively in a small team within an agile start-up environment.
The successful candidate will apply strong chemical engineering skills that include research and study of operations to develop new strategies, procedures, business models or equipment designs to achieve AGORA’s business and technological objectives.
- Competency in the following areas: process engineering, thermodynamics, process control, mass transfer, equipment specification, process safety management.
- Strong knowledge of process cost calculations (CAPEX, OPEX).
- Good problem-solving skills to analyze process data, understand equipment operations and determine root causes of failures.
- Proficiency in the following software (as many as possible):
- AFT ARROW or AFT Fathom, AutoCAD, SolidWorks
- EXCEL, VBA, MATLAB, Python
- Aptitude to convey technical concepts through excellent verbal, written and visual communication skills.
- Proven record of excellence in drafting grant applications.
- Experience as a lead process engineer on capital projects is an asset.
- Provides engineering and technical expertise to support R&D for prototypes and pilot integration.
- Understand the business drivers for the projects you are leading and provide engineering and design expertise to assist in the business development activities.
- Participate in the discovery of new business opportunities by providing technical vetting of ideas relevant to the renewable and storage energy industry.
- Develop and implement ideas for optimizing manufacturing costs, improving product quality to maintain and increase profitability in operations.
- Knowledge of procurement of materials, specification and design of process systems such as vessels, piping and instrumentation.
- Development of PFD’s, P&ID’s and General Arrangement Drawings.
- Act as an interface with contractors, vendors and maintenance to ensure installation and completion of projects.
- Provides technical input and calculations for regulatory and safety compliance.
- Participate in on-field construction and commissioning activities by serving as the point of contact for technical questions and real-time issue resolution.
- Demonstrate strong project management skills and experience leading cross-disciplinary research teams.
- Demonstrate the ability to build collaborative relationships with internal stakeholders, external customers and academia.
- Meet AGORA’s quality standards while maintaining a working knowledge of relevant technologies and best practices, and upholding federal and provincial regulations.
- The candidate must be a self-starting, self-motivated and well-organized person.
Applications are accepted online through AGORA’s Careers page.
Applications must include a cover letter indicating “Process Design Engineer Application” and CV combined into a single PDF file specifically titled “Process Design Engineer_Your-Name”. AGORA appreciates all interest in this position, however, only exceptional shortlisted candidates will be contacted. The position will remain open until filled. Candidates will be required to provide references if selected for an interview.